Tuesday, June 1, 2010

Norfolk Archives & A Long Lost Cousin

I tried to get up a bit earlier today as we were going to the Norfolk Archives in Norwich to meet a long lost "cousin" who I had only met on Sunday and to do some further research into the Moore family roots.  I missed the 8:45 train but caught the 9:45 train arriving in Norwich at 10:45 and into the Archvies for 11:40.  The walk is uphill all the way but I was striding right along without taking any stops (other than for 2 traffic lights). 

Michael and Susan Whelan were sitting down at the microfilm readers when I arrived.  Michael and I sat down to share the ton of notes that Michael has composed on the Moore family (ours), the Gidney family (ours), the Spooner family (his) and pretty much every family that ever lived in Letheringsett.  Quite a lot of work that they have done which has produced excellent results for his side of the famiy

My method has been to search for specific records on the direct lineage back into the past which means I make multiple passes on the same microfilm or fiche.  As I find information, I enter it directly into my laptop.  This makes a big difference as compared to writing it long-hand on paper and then transcribing it later on.  In the evening, I'm able to rearrange these notes into a "logical" order with notes to myself as to which areas to further investigate on the next difference.  I only wish I had direct Internet access to the ancestry.co.uk website so that I could look at the info on there to match it up with the info I'm looking at. 

It is quite something (at least it is for me) to come across records that were written over 213 years ago.  This is when Stephen Moore (my great-great-great grandfather) and Sarah Page (my great-great-great grandmother) were married.

To say nothing about the marriage of my great-great grandmother's parents, John Gidney and Ann Barber who I hadn't discovered until this trip, being married in 1791
 Michael and Susan left at 3:30 but I stayed to closing at 5:00.  While I managed to confirm only two new records (Jeremiah Moore and Benjamin Gidney), that was sufficient in itself as it is a very repetitive process looking at negatives of the two records you see above.  

I left the Norfolk Archives at 5:05 and arrived at the train station by 5:40 (downhill all the way and walking quickly) just in time to catch the 5:45 train to Sheringham and on to The Lobster.  I want to scan the records that I have printed so far and depending on how I do at the library timewise, I plan to return to Norwich to do some more research.

No comments: