Thursday, May 27, 2010

Going Back To the 1700 & 1600s - Meet Some New Ancestors!!

It was a really good day today!!

Started off with a trip to the library for 9:45 to pick up my history book on Letheringsett.  While it didn't have the map I was looking for (the edition I saw had a green cover whereas this one has a red cover), there were several references to the Moores and their residences which were nicely described in sequence with the rest of the houses on the road.  Then it was over to the trains station to hop the next train to Norwich and the Norfolk County Records Office. 

Managed to take a second pass through the two microfilm records with the Letheringsett parish records on them.  It gets easier with each pass through.
 While this was only a transcription of the original parish records done by Basil Cozens-Hardy (whose family owned most of Letheringsett right up into the 1960s) in 1932-34, I got records back to the early 1600s with the Gidneys (Elizabeth Gidney and Matthew Moore (son of Stephen Moore/ Stephen Moore's Pit Hole of 1804 fame) who are my great-great grandparents) and the Moores solidly back into 1731.

That is, two generations solidly back from where my father had managed to get when he was doing the genealogy in the mid 1970s without the benefit of the Internet, laptops, and on-line databases.  I now have to get the Gidneys all unscrambled in my brain as to how it all fits together. 
There is one entry for the burial of one "William Mole" in 1672 which may be a relative (mispelling of names is quite frequent in older records) so we'll have to check that out.  "How" will be the big question.
Once the Records Office closed, it was a quick trip downhill to the Norwich train station and onto the next train to Sheringham.  I was back in Sheringham by 6:30.  The 100 fatted bunny rabbits were just starting to come out of their burrows as the train went by the common.
I wandered down the empty streets on Station Road.  They roll up the streets at 5 pm with all of the stores closed.  The Sainsburys, the pinball arcade, the pubs and the ice cream stores are the only ones open after 5pm.  Would you believe there are 3 ice cream stores almost next door to each other and they all do a roaring business!!
 Went to The Lobster again for supper to have Norfolk crab in a brie sause, new potatoes and stir fry veggies.  Love the seafood around here! 
Back up to Camberley for 8:30, tried to log on to update my blog but couldn't get connected to the Internet.  Laid down for a zizz and the next thing I knew it was almost 2 am!  The walk from the train station to the archives office in Norwich is a 30-minute walk all uphill.  However, I walked it without stopping once (except for one set of traffic lights) at a brisk pace without any huffing or puffing. 

Started to print off some of the records for future scanning.  It would help if I had access to a 3-in-1 printer as I could print off the notes I have done up on my research.

No comments: