Thursday, May 20, 2010

A Closer Look at Black Five; Shunting Around The Yard

Thursday morning was a very lazy day, missing the 10:30 train just steaming away and waiting for the DRB to come down from Weybourne.  On my way to the station, I had made my usual side trip to the library to see if my reserved book, “A History of Letheringsett 1769 - 1818” by Lord Basil Couzens-Hardy published in 1959 had arrived yet.  I then sat down to see what kind of records were in the County records office in Norwich as I was thinking of taking a trip down to Norwich to scout things out tomorrow.

I started to set up my baby laptop in the carriage sheds so that, as each inspiring thought or event came to mind, I could write up my blog throughout the day. All I then had to do at the end of the day would be some rigourous editing and adding photos instead of trying to remember what went on during the day and thinking about what to say.  I also added photos to my PowerPoint presentation on train derailments in North America to show the lads at tea time.  North American derailments tend to be quite spectacular as the locomotives and equipment are that much larger. 

Black Five 4-6-0, "Robert Stephenson", was out in the yard undergoing some minor repairs so Peter and I went down to look the beast over.  It is indeed a real Black Beauty, even if it is an iron horse.

Later in the afternoon, the lads were doing some shunting with the yard switcher, Class 11 #12131, moving 0-6-0 tank engine "Ring Haw" and the N7 0-6-2 #69621 to another track to clear the way to get into the locomotive shed to pull the Class 31 diesel out of the shed to put it on another track, along with the J15 0-6-0 #65462.  This required another look at what was going on. 

As "Ring Haw" and the N7 were pulled out, this gave us a clearer view of Black Five

Once this was all done, the J5  had to be pushed back into the shed.  A bit of switching exercise indeed. 

Peter and I went back to painting some birch plywood panels for the coach that was under complete rebuild.  Peter had to leave at 5:00 but at that point, Nigel and Carol came walking in along with Brian and so we were ready for the evening shift of the Thursday evening volunteers.  While Nigel went for fish-and chips, my favourite 0-6-2T GWR tank engine pulled into the yard after a day of pulling the passenger cars on the line.  I strolled out to take a few pictures and to see how things were done.

 Later that evening, the container flat had to be moved closer to the C&W sheds onto the track behind the BP tank car so a bit more switching was done with the big Class 25 diesel #25057.  As the head shunt wasn't long enough to pull all the cars and wagons back, it took a few extra moves.

We worked until 10 pm with a couple of tea breaks in between when it was time to leave.  While not a particularly busy day, it was a good day to see a lot of switching moves and to get an idea of what the trackwork in the yard looked like.  And, as I have been writing up this blog, I've also had a few extra cups of tea.  Definitely had more tea in the last 7 days than what I've had in the previous 17 years. 

No comments: