Monday, May 17, 2010

Monday - Back At The Shops & A Little Bit Of Family History

On my way to Sheringham station, I stopped into the library to see if they had the Letheringsett history book written in 1959 by Lord Basil Couzens-Hardy. This book is a reprint of the diaries kept by his great-great........-great grandmother from 1759 to 1819 and contains extracts on the death of my great-great-great grandfather, Stephen Moore, in 1801; their farm labourers at various periods of time, including the Moores; and the location of the residences around their main farm on Blakeney Road. This is where my ancestors lived right up until my great grandfather, Edmund Moore, left Letheringsett in 1858 to make his fortune in London Town.

Their copy was shown as “missing” but there were several copies in other libraries including quite a few in the Holt library which is only one mile from Letheringsett.  The librarian made arrangements to have a copy sent to them which I could borrow. From there, I can scan the necessary information.

I then made my way up to Sheringham station to be greeted, once again, by my 0-6-2T GWR tank engine waiting to start its 10:30 trip up to Holt.  There were two classes of young school children who were on a railway outing up to Holt where they would hold classes about World War II and what conditions were like during that period of time for young people.   Steam preservation railways have at least one or two “1940s days” where they recreate the conditions of the World War II, complete with soldiers in period uniforms, rifles, gas masks and vehicles of the era, including tanks, personnel carriers, and the like. The NNR has linked up with a vintage bus group which provides transportation between stations and into the nearby towns.

I continued finishing some painting on the M&GN brake van so I won’t bore you all with the rest of the details. Instead, I will provide you with some Moore family history.

Moore Family
In the mid to late 1970s, my father had managed to trace the family roots from his father, who emigrated to Canada in 1895 from London to his grandfather, Edmund Moore who lived around the corner from St Paul’s Cathedral, back to the little village of Letheringsett where Edmund Moore was born. From there, he managed to get the family tree back to his great-grandfather, Matthew Moore, and his great grandmother, Elizabeth Gidney, his great-great grandfather, Stephen Moore, who was killed by a chunk of clay on November 1st, 1804, and his great-great grandmother, Sarah Page. He found that his great-great--great grandfather was Mark Moore and his great-great-great grandmother was Mary Moore. From there, the history was very sketchy as he didn’t have access to the Internet resources as we have today. While I have been able to find a lot of information on the information, it has to be verified by examining the actual records which I hope to do June 2-3 at the county records in Norwich.

My father was able to determine that his grandfather lived around the corner from St Paul’s Cathedral up until 1871. He was able to locate a painting of their residence at #9 St Andrew’s Hill and obtained a black-and-white photograph of the painting. In 1999 with access to the Guildhall Library’s website, I was able to get colour prints of this painting plus another painting showing the same location (the Guildhall Library is the civic archives for the City of London)..

In 2004, I spent 6 days in London on our way to and from Ghana (3 +3) which included a visit to the London Guildhall Library where I was able to view these two water colours, plus a 3rd which showed the back of their residence. I also was able to find a detailed outline of the area through the insurance maps of the area. Insurance maps, as the names imply, were ordered by fire insurance companies to detail where they had insured properties in case of large-scale fire. They are invaluable in doing historic research.


After 1871, my father lost track of where Edmund Moore lived. Since then, through on-line access to census records, birth-marriage-death records, I have been able to find Edmund Moore’s residences with each of the 10-year census up to 1901 (the 1911 census won’t be released to the public until 2011).


So, that's a little bit of the Moore family history.  If you are interested, it's all being recorded on www.ancestry.co.uk.  You will need a special invitation from me to look at the family trees. 

.

No comments: